Thursday, November 10, 2011

Un-natural History.

I have of late become interested in curiosity cabinets. The concept of collecting, documenting and exhibiting has always resonated with me. While these have traditionally been used to house natural history collections, I have been playing for a while now with the idea to record and display my finds of the metal and plastic kind. A few years ago I made my F-O-U-N-D piece, and since then I have also filled up a printer's tray with some of the more interesting pieces. But I have lots of tiny pieces that must be displayed in a different way - this is what I came up with:
































(Curiosity Cabinet #1 (above) and Curiosity Cabinet #2 (below) - found objects displayed in chewing gum blister pack on found cardboard)
































My next step is to document a (fictional) history for each object.

Have a look at Maissa Toulet's cabinets. Bizarrely beautiful.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this! me too-on the curiosity cabinet front. I have hundreds of curiosities all over the place and display some. I have not got my printer's tray up anywhere anymore as there has never been room for it in this flat. Off to look at your link now.

Nicky Linzey said...

I can so identify with this. I'm always picking up stuff in the road that's fallen off cars etc. I think the local community may find me a little strange!

Anonymous said...

You always come up with super ideas - I shall look on packaging with new eyes now!

nathalie et cetera said...

looking forward to read about your little objects. Love the link! thank you!