Monday, July 8, 2013

Art MOOC # 6: A Circular Argument.

Last week's assignment was to construct a "Cabinet of Curiosities". I used 40 of the found pieces that I usually pick up on my walks (I have three boxes of these), and decided to focus on circular objects. I incorporated in the piece the philosophical concept of a circular argument as well as eight hand drawn illustrations of spiritual and religious circular symbols. You will find yin-yang, the circumpunct, enso, the Flower of Life, ouroboros, the quartered circle, The Seed of Life, and finally the Sacred Chao (a symbol of Discordianism -  a parody religion, which uses subversive humour to spread its philosophy).




























































A Circular Argument (wooden slide tray, found objects, black thread, glue, wire, paper, pen, ink, paint)

6 comments:

Leenie said...

Like the ouroboros you are constantly recreating. And like the Discordians you are using humor to share your philosophy. You might enjoy this YouTube video about Doodling in Math Class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heKK95DAKms

Vi Hart shows how to draw the ouroboros as well as Sir Pentagram.

Anyway, your collection of found rounds is intriguing. You get a very high grade from me.

Denise Kiggan said...

Love the foundness, the squareness and the roundness of this :-)

Colleen Ross Brand said...

Beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Very interesting...

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, Anairam..... What perfect timing, to be inspired by your box of curiosities (as I set about creating my second enso etching in a row) today :)) !!!! Have loved seeing all your MOOC Artwork xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, Anairam..... What perfect timing, to be inspired by your box of curiosities (as I set about creating my second enso etching in a row) today :)) !!!! Have loved seeing all your MOOC Artwork xxxxx